A Summer Lentil Salad is one of my go-to recipes. I constantly find myself changing the vegetables with whatever I find at the farmer’s market. The bones of the recipe have always stayed the same. It’s a quick and healthy dinner and I love when we have leftovers for lunch the next day!
– 1 cup lentils (I use the French variety called du Puy)
– 1 tablespoon Dijon or coarse mustard
– 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
– juice of ½ Meyer lemon
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– sea salt
– 1 cup cherry tomatoes
– 3 Persian cucumbers, half-peeled
– 1 cup fresh English peas
– ¼ cup Italian parsley
1. Bring a medium pot of water to boil (season with salt), add the lentils. Once it is boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until tender – usually 15 to 20 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. Drain lentils and place in a mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, and salt.
3. Add the mixture to the lentils along with the tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, and parsley.
Note: You can also add feta cheese if you want a little on top.
Recipe and photos by Caitlin Flemming