Recently, I’ve made a commitment to get up early and go to the farmers market on Sunday mornings. I thought it might only last a few weeks but the produce has been inspiring me so much that I’ve now gone five weeks in a row!
By doing this, I start the week off with healthy and fresh ingredients and cook with what’s in season. The freshness and flavors are unsurpassed and I’m directly supporting the farmers who grew the produce.
This week I’ve decided to try something outside of my comfort zone. I’m not known for my baking talents – so this was a stretch for me. Let me tell you, I was so surprised with the results that I had to share this recipe with all you. Plus, it’s easy and your family or guests you make this for will be wanting more than one!
Pie Crust – I used a ready-made piecrust that was delicious. Check your local bakery to see if they sell the dough. If you want to prepare your own, this is my tried and true recipe.
– all purpose flour (to dust the rolling of dough)
– 6 to 8 apricots
– one small box of strawberries
– 1 T cornstarch
– 2/3 cup granulated sugar
– dusting sugar
1. Using one 9-inch piecrust, roll pie crust out to create four squares about 1/8” thick. I always dust my surface as well as my rolling pin with flour so it sticks less.
2. Chop the apricots in long strips and slice the strawberries.
3. Combine fruit with sugar and cornstarch.
4. Add ½ cup of fruit into center of each piece of dough
5. Turn sides up and pinch folds.
6. Lightly brush with water and sprinkle the dusting sugar on top of the galettes.
7. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and place the galettes on the cookie sheet.
8. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place galettes in oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are beginning to brown. Reduce heat to 375 degrees for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the filling in bubbling.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy this delicious summer treat!
Recipe and photos by Caitlin Flemming